AD | MIND/WAVE #9 - “The Occult, The Esoteric, and Hypnagogia” w/ Mitch Horowitz x Jesse Draxler
Mitch Horowitz is a historian of alternative spirituality and one of today’s most literate voices of esoterica, mysticism, and the occult. He is among the few occult writers whose work touches the bases of academic scholarship, national journalism, and subculture cred. Mitch is a writer-in-residence at the New York Public Library, lecturer-in-residence at the Philosophical Research Society in Los Angeles, and a PEN Award-winning historian whose books include Occult America; One Simple Idea: How Positive Thinking Reshaped Modern Life; and The Miracle Club.
The Washington Post says Mitch “treats esoteric ideas and movements with an even-handed intellectual studiousness that is too often lost in today’s raised-voice discussions.”
He has discussed alternative spirituality across the national media and is collaborating with Emmy-nominated director Ronni Thomas on a feature documentary about the occult classic The Kybalion, shot on location in Egypt. Mitch received the Walden Award for Interfaith/Intercultural Understanding. The Chinese government has censored his work.
Photo by Yoshino
Jesse Draxler was born in rural Wisconsin, studied in Minneapolis, MN, and currently lives and works in Los Angeles, CA. A formal mixed media & inter-disciplinary artist, Draxler has exhibited extensively both domestically and internationally.
Draxler collaborates with brands including Hugo Boss, McQ Alexander McQueen, and Ferrari, with original artwork appearing in Elle, The New York Times, The New Yorker, and The Atlantic, among other publications.
- 00:05:50 - Mitch’s approach towards his craft
- 00:09:52 - The origins of thoughts and ideas
- 00:17:17 - The brain within the metaphysical
- 00:20:57 - Tapping into an imaginal realm with art
- 00:29:35 - Being honest with your desires
- 00:36:10 - Artists going unrecognized
- 00:42:42 - Being uncompromising in our desires
- 00:50:06 - Depression and anxiety
- 00:59:58 - Navigating dark energy
- 01:06:43 - Free will
- 01:10:52 - Hypnagogic state
- 01:18:47 - The pathos of death
- 01:29:46 - Wrap Up
“The Miracle Habits”