208 | Emilio Villalba - “People & Things”
Portrait by Shaun Roberts
Emilio Villalba is a Mexican-American painter living in San Francisco. Born in Chula Vista and raised in Southern California, he grew up interested in drawing and art. He created a career in Los Angeles as a visual effects artist where he animated television commercials and films. After 2 years in the industry, he left for San Francisco to study fine art. He’s now focused on exploring painting figuratively, pulling inspiration from both old masters and contemporary artists—from Velázquez to Alice Neel and Basquiat.
Emilio’s latest exhibition, “People and Things” will be on view at Hashimoto Contemporary in New York from Saturday, July 17th to Saturday, August 7th, 2021.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- 00:03:12 - Emilio’s latest body of work
- 00:06:50 - Exploring new visual avenues
- 00:13:33 - Self-awareness of one’s work
- 00:20:30 - Saying vs. doing
- 00:32:42 - The psychology of reward systems
- 00:36:03 - Identity / fitting in
- 00:42:40 - The conceptual basis of Emilio’s newest body of work
- 00:53:37 - Owning who you are
- 01:03:33 - The painter's alphabet
- 01:25:42 - Wrap up