40 | Grant Singer - "A Filmmaker's Journey"
Grant Singer is a filmmaker who has quickly become one of today’s most in demand music video directors. In July 2015 Stereogum named him "the best music video director in the world." He has directed numerous music videos for The Weeknd, Skrillex, Future, Ariana Grande, Rae Sremmurd, J. Balvin & Pharrell, Vic Mensa & Kanye West, Sky Ferreira, Ariel Pink, Travis Scott, Young Thug, Phantogram, Tobias Jesso Jr., and Foxygen among others.
In 2016 Grant was selected in the prestigious Saatchi & Saatchi New Directors' Showcase at the Cannes Lions. Grant was nominated for best music video director at Berlin’s VMA 2015 for "Dazed Inn Daydreams” and was recently included in an exhibit at The Photographer's Gallery in London, which featured the most visionary music video directors working today.
- Films being undeniably good or bad
- Outsiders, counter cultures, and authenticity
- Music videos being a conduit for experimenting and preparing for independent and feature film making
- Evoking tone and feeling in music video directing
- Being disconnected from technology helping him stay focused and grounded