165 | Damian Kulash (OK Go) - “All Together Now”
Damian Joseph Kulash Jr. (born October 7, 1975) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and music video director who is best known for being the lead singer and guitarist of the American rock band OK Go.
Damien was born in Washington DC and spent a large amount of time studying at the Interlochen Arts Camp. He was active in bands at his time at Brown University, eventually winning a prize in music composition.
From the time span of 2005-2007 while the band released and was touring off of the “Oh No” album, the music video “A Million Ways” ended up being the most downloaded video with over 9 million downloads.
The band decided to cut ties with their major record label deals with EMI and Capitol Records, and eventually started their own label, Paracadute, in 2010.
OK Go released their most recent album completely free on their website, which includes rarities, B-sides, and covers of other songs.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- Damian discusses how both he and his family contracted coronavirus and how in hindsight, the time spent quarantined yielded different effects and revelations that Damian was not expecting.
Damian speaks on how he personally finds hope within the world and how it comes to him emotionally rather than a linearly or algorithmically.
- “When the world breaks down or the rules shift in such a drastic way, it’s a little like the shackles come off and everything begins to reconfigure. That is terrifying but it also brings an element of hope…”
- Deconstruction and equalization of power structures within the world and hope shining through the cracks of society shifting.
- The depth of what we experience and how it relates to the “Truth”.
Life being a puzzle with the pieces everchanging, how it relates to our humanity, and how we see others and ourselves change.
Giving yourself the freedom to tread new waters, and to genuinely feel emotions.
Dynamic of how we are all working together for a common goal.
- Collaboration and calling back to others who have to tread the path before us. “We are not individual actors”
- Damian’s Letter For “All Together Now”
- Rebecca Solnit - “'The Impossible Has Already Happened': What Coronavirus Can Teach Us About Hope”