171 | CJ Hendry - “Greetings From The Wild Wild West"
Cj Hendry (b. 1988) is a New York based artist originally from Brisbane, Australia. Globally renowned for her large-scale, photo-realistic drawings of consumer goods and immense, interactive exhibitions, she has developed a dedicated following through her unique brand of technical mastery and conceptual depth.
A self-professed “lover of products”, Hendry is heir to the Pop Art tradition that firmly established depictions of everyday objects and mass culture in the art historical canon. In the footsteps of Andy Warhol, Hendry generates instantaneously appealing images that celebrate kitsch aesthetics and it’s ubiquitous presence in contemporary digital culture.
More recently, the artist has incorporated new subject matter to delve into deep-seated concerns and anxieties of current society. After seven years of studying architecture and finance in Australia, Hendry abandoned the endeavor in 2014 to pursue art full-time. She has since presented 6 solo exhibitions across Australia, the U.S., and Asia. In 2017, the artist collaborated with esteemed fashion house Christian Louboutin to present her first works in color during the 2017 edition of Art Basel in Hong Kong.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- Not being bogged down by life and “going on with the show”
- The dynamic of achieving greatness without falling into individualistic, isolated, and greedy viewpoints.
- Discipline, and its relation to our daily life.
- The importance of community, and how opening yourself up and allowing people to be involved with what you are doing brings about a particular level of freedom.
- The concept of creative energy - Being relaxed, calm, and effortless within your life and art practice.
- Art not about being able to draw something well. Rather, art being more about the conceptual nature behind it.
- Creatively letting go of what others think about you, and doing work that is fulfilling for yourself within art.
- The concept of working hard and living humbly.
- Triumphing in the midst of defeats.
CJ Hendry’s Instagram
CJ Hendry’s Website