AD 56 | Mathew Ryan Herget “Opening Access Points Of The Mind”
Born December 21st, 1990; Matthew Ryan Herget is an emerging self-taught artist from Miami, FL.
After attending University for two years, Herget opted to leave formal education to pursue his personal calling in life; to live as a contemporary explorer.
Herget's work is what he calls, a "constant collaboration" between himself at all points in his life. The evolution of his work mimics the evolution of his own self - a student of life, the mind, nature, and spirituality; Herget continues to explore anew without losing the childlike confidence that propelled him to the person he is today. Earlier paintings consist of juxtapositions of visual metaphors that tend to represent overcoming personal fears and limitations. These juxtapositions mix serious tones with playful imagery: an ode to finding who he is while at the same time never forgetting where he was.
Newer paintings jump in and out of the boundaries of form and abstraction. Occasionally paintings are figurative while others take the shape of full on abstraction: a reflection of where Matthew is currently in his personal journey. Matthew's process in the studio is that of high-energy and adventure. Paintings usually begin with no set concept and evolve into a dialogue of mark-making and feeling between the painter and painting. Dozens of paintings are often worked on at the same time and rotated throughout the studio. His painting style relies heavily on instinct, risk, and uncertainty. Things that are learned today may be dropped tomorrow in an effort to consistently keep oneself open to change and discovery. Herget's main focus is making the process the reward, and to allowing that process and inner voice to mold and evolve what comes of the process, as it pleases.
“Each piece is a journey in-and-of itself. I’m constantly trying to take it somewhere that I haven’t been before. The way I paint is kind of a metaphor for who I am, and why I’m here. It’s not about taking it to a point where you can see something; it’s about bringing it to a place where you can feel something. We all have a space suit on; whether it sits in the closet or goes to the moon is a choice we get to make. It’s a constant mission of finding ourselves. I think that pursuit is nurtured by consistently pushing ourselves further than we did yesterday. That’s how we change, grow, and evolve. That’s what these paintings are about. It’s pretty simple, but means a lot to me."
Matthew Ryan Herget currently works out of Los Angeles, CA.
- 0:00:00 - Introduction
- 0:00:47 - Live in Art Basel
- 0:06:08 - Trusting In More Abstract Work
- 0:10:17 - Psychedelics in Dog Parks
- 0:15:31 - Psychedelics Opening Mental Portals
- 0:18:21 - Plants, Shamans, and Community
- 0:21:06 - Different Mental Access Points Through Psychedelics
- 0:24:37 - Tie-Dye Shirt Trip
- 0:25:37 - Artistic Process With Psychedelics
- 0:27:17 - Social Conditioning and Growing Up
- 0:32:28 - Dropping Out of College and Manifesting Art Career
- 0:39:10 - Generational Curses, Eckhart Tolle, and Letting Go
- 0:47:16 - Manifestation of God
- 0:48:11 - Time at Artist For Peace and Justice
- 0:58:33 - Traveling and Experiencing Life
- 1:02:57 - Advice to Artists
- 1:05:27 - Wrap Up